Thursday, December 9, 2010

How to Shine Copper

So it's that time of the year where we all are cleaning everything--including the super random things like our teapot bottoms!  Yes, I cleaned the copper bottom of my teapot not too long ago.  This is what it looked like after I had scrubbed it, layered a baking soda paste on it and left that to sit, and scrubbed it some more.  Let me tell you, it looked much better than it had. I pretty much gave up hope on the last of the burned-on spots, but I wanted to make the rest of it look pretty.
So I went searching for some ideas on how to help my the copper bottom look even nicer.  I have a nifty little book from Reader's Digest that shares all sorts of creative, helpful uses for random stuff you might have around your house, so I checked there.  They suggested ketchup--which I have lots of!  Who with a toddler doesn't have lots of ketchup?  So I followed their instructions and glopped on a nice thick layer of ketchup and left the tea pot to sit for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, I eagerly wiped off  the ketchup to see if it had worked.  And look at that: the copper looks wonderful!  Too bad I couldn't get more of the black off, but at least the copper that is clean looks gorgeous!
You can even read the manufacturer's imprint--so the ketchup did help the stubborn black spots, too.  I was very pleased with this little trick.
I shined up the rest of my teapot and it looks gorgeous!  Now if only I can protect it from splatters from Christmas cooking....

~Regina

No comments:

Post a Comment